Post-Doctoral Fellowships and Research: Application Guidelines
The Classics Faculty welcomes enquiries from potential applicants for a range of post-doctoral programmes including: British Academy Postdoctoral Fellowships; ERC Starter Grants; Leverhulme Early Career Fellowships; Marie Curie Postdoctoral Fellowships; and Wellcome Trust Research Fellowships. We are keen to support high quality applications that intersect with research already being undertaken or developed in the Faculty.
The basic process to be followed is similar in all cases, though details and deadlines vary.
1. Applicants should be in touch with an academic in the Faculty HERE).e (academic staff and their research interests are listed
2. With the support of their sponsor, a draft application, or at least an outline research proposal should then be submitted to the Faculty Research Officer (firstname.lastname@example.org) by about four weeks before the relevant deadline (details below). The sponsor should also submit a short statement of their support for the proposal.
3. The Faculty will assess all the proposals thus submitted. For Leverhulme ECFs there is an internal competition, and we can only support very few applications; otherwise we hope to support all quality applications which intersect with research already being undertaken or developed in the Faculty.
4. We will then let you know whether we are able to support your application in good time for the final submission deadline. We will provide feedback on both those applications we are, and are not, able to support, working with you to make applications as strong as possible before final submission.
Links to the relevant website, current, and past deadlines are listed below. Past deadlines show roughly when the next deadline for the programme is likely to be, but do check the website for details.
British Academy Postdoctoral Fellowship programme
British Academy awards are offered for postdoctoral research in the humanities and social sciences. In a change to previous rounds, the Academy have asked host institutions to operate a restricted calls policy to reduce the number of applications from any one institution.
Expressions of interest for this award are invited by end of July – a list of host academics may be found here. Candidates are invited to submit a draft of their eGAP template, CV (no more than 2 pages) and publications list to the Faculty Administrator by 25th August. The Faculty will follow up with those candidates we wish to support by 5 pm 31st August and a completed ‘X5’ costing form and statement from the Chair of the Faculty Board will need to be submitted to the University’s Research Office by 9 September 2016. For details on the X5 costing form please contact the Faculty Administrator.
The Faculty invites expressions of interest for postdoctoral Marie Skłodowska-Curie Individual Fellowships (IF). Candidates are asked to submit draft applications, consisting of Part A and Part B (Document 1, sections 1-3; and, Document2, section 4-7) of the template together with their CV, publications list and brief statement on research activities to date, to the potential academic host by the end of July. A list of host academics may be found here. Please click here for guidance notes on how to apply and here for notes on completing Part B. A model for costs can be found here.
The Faculty will then consider draft applications in mid-August, and will follow up with those candidates we wish to support by 5 pm 31st August. The final submission date is 14 September, but the Faculty will be looking to approve the internal ‘X5’ costing form and sign off draft applications by 9 September. For details on the X5 costing form please contact the Faculty Administrator.
ERC Starter Grant
Deadline: November 17th 2015
Internal Deadline has yet to be announced.
Leverhulme Early Career Fellowships
Deadline: 10 March 2016
Internal Deadline: 4 January 2016
The Classics Faculty welcomes enquiries from potential applicants for the Leverhulme Early Career Fellowship Scheme 2016. The scheme provides three-year fellowships for early career researchers within five years of submission of PhD; with matching funding provided in Cambridge by the Isaac Newton Trust. There is a, therefore, two-stage internal selection process, first by the Faculty and then the Trust.
We are keen to support high quality applications that intersect with research already being undertaken or developed in the Faculty. So, applicants should be in touch with an academic in the Faculty who works in their area of research, and could act as their sponsor, to discuss their proposed project as soon as possible (academic staff and their research interests are listed here).
Draft applications should then be submitted to the Faculty’s Administrative Officer, Mr Nigel Thompson (email@example.com) by Monday 4th January 2016.
We will review all the draft submissions we receive, and put forward our nominations for the final selection process later in the month. We will be in touch with all applicants about the status of their proposals by the end of January.
General Enquiries to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For further details see:
Leverhulme Trust webpage: https://www.leverhulme.ac.uk/funding/grant-schemes/early-career-fellowships
Newton Trust webpage: http://www.newtontrust.cam.ac.uk/ressupport/LECF
Wellcome Trust Research Fellowships
Deadlines (the Wellcome has two sets of deadlines):
- 22 January 2016: closing date for preliminary applications
- 30 March 2016: closing date for full applications
There will be a second round in July.
Faculty Research Officer: email@example.com
School Research Office: http://www.ahssresearch.group.cam.ac.uk/