skip to primary navigationskip to content
 

The Bean Archive

The Bean Archive

In 1990 the Museum of Classical Archaeology received a donation which included a rather worn looking brown leather suitcase. With a broken handle and tuck locks long past working, the old brown suitcase was carefully placed in a storeroom to remain largely untouched for nearly 25 years.

In 2014 the suitcase resurfaced and over 3,000 photographs and negatives were discovered inside. The pink chalk mark 'Bean', etched in capitals on the lid, identified the owner and photographer.

 

Who was George E. Bean?

black and white photograph of an steps leading up to an archway, with two men seen from behind
George stepping through an archway, 1950s (D5.5)

George was a well known topographer and epigraphist of Classical Turkey, born in 1903 and traveling widely right up until his death in 1977. The photographs and negatives in the archive are his research materials.

Amongst the inscribed stones, ruinous archaeological sites and dramatic landscapes, George perhaps unwittingly captured moments of beauty in the places and faces of his traveling companions – both two- and four-legged.

 

Bean's Team

black and white photograph of a group of men and women, including local Turksih guides
Group photograph (Jane, second right on second top row; George, next to Jane), unknown location 1950-60 (D5.4)

The Bean Archive Team has comprised of three members in Cambridge, with the invaluable contribution of George's wife, Jane Bean. Great thanks are owed to Jane for her willingness to share stories from her travels with George, which have enriched these webpages.

 

Creating the Bean Archive

The Bean Archive was curated in 2015 and will be of great interest to those with an enthusiasm for the Turkish archaeology of the Classical period and for Turkish history in general. It also provides a valuable insight into the experience of archaeologists working and traveling during the middle of the 20th century.

Thanks to the support the Museum's Committee, 2015 marked the creation of the Bean Archive: a fully conserved, organised and rehoused photograph archive. Each of the photographs has been digitised, along with accompanying documents, and are now available for everyone to access.

The cataloguing, research and curation of the Bean Archive was undertaken by Dr. Kate Beats between June 2014 and March 2015, with the help of Cliff Jenkinson and Georgina Doji.

 

Consulting the Bean Archive

The Bean Archive Online Catalogue is hosted by the Fitzwilliam Museum.

To arrange research visit or image reproduction permissions, please contact our Curator:

Dr. Susanne Turner
Tel. +44 (0)1223 335153
Email  

 

Find out more

 

an open brown leather suitcase filled with envelopes
The Bean Suitcase, 2015

Museum of Classical Archaeology logo

Every cast tells two stories.
One ancient. One modern.

Admission is free.

 

book free ticket

  

Opening hours

Tues-Fri: 11am-2pm
Sat: Closed until further notice
Sun and Monday: Closed

Closed on Bank Holidays

 

Saturday Opening

We are currently closed on Saturdays. We are only open on Saturdays during University of Cambridge term time.

 

Visit us

Museum of Classical Archaeology
Faculty of Classics
Sidgwick Avenue
Cambridge
CB3 9DA

We do not have an entrance on the road. Find us inside the Sidgwick Site.

 

Join our mailing list

mailing list subscribe

 

 

Get in touch

Tel. +44 (0)1223 330402
Email

Find us on social media:

facebook     twitter

 

 

We're Good to Go logo     TripAdvisor 

 

 

Copyright statement

All images and material on our websites are ©Museum of Classical Archaeology, University of Cambridge unless otherwise stated. Permission is required to reproduce our images.

See also our Copyright Notice and Take Down Policy.

 

 

University of Cambridge Museums

Arts Council England