skip to content
 
theatre_carousel.jpg

Building on the results of the geophysical surveys (2010-12) and following a preliminary check of the state of preservation of the buried structures (2013), the Comune di Pignataro Interamna purchased a sector of about 1.6 ha within the urban area of Interamna Lirenas, broadly corresponding to the western side of the forum. This initiative met the legal requirements set by the Italian Ministry of Culture (MiBACT) for the launch of the full excavation of the theatre (2014-).

 

theatre_plan16.jpg

Plan of the theatre (as of September 2017)

 

Our preliminary results date the theatre to the second half of the 1st c. BC, a moment of special significance in the history of the town. The semi-circular seating area (cavea) had a capacity of up to 1,500 spectators and was contained within a rectangular structure which supported a large roof (with a span of about 24 m). The building was in fact a roofed theatre (theatrum tectum or odeum), an architectural type that was considerably less common than its open-air counterpart (the latter being well-attested, for example, in the nearby towns of Aquinum, Casinum and Minturnae).

The main building was surrounded on three side by a broad corridor (also roofed), made accessible from the outside through several entrances of variable size and importance. This corridor was not just a passageway, but also provided an elegantly-decorated reception space for the spectators as they were waiting for the start of the performances. From the corridor it was possible to access a) the main seating area through two passageways paved with large limestone slabs (aditus maximi) and b) the stage itself (scaena) by way of three monumental doorways. Little remains of the stage as such (originally featuring a wooden floor), but we believe it to have been richly decorated with fine marbles specifically imported from various parts of the Mediterranean (as attested by the recovery of many such fragments).

 

Antefix by al506 on Sketchfab
(part of the architectural decoration of the theatre)

 

We know basically nothing about the individual(s) who might have commissioned this building or who might have contributed the resources necessary to its construction. However, the fragment of an inscription in big letters (recovered in secondary deposition within the theatre) records the name of a well-to-do freedman (Anoptes), who must have been involved in some form.

 

theatre_inscription.jpg

The inscription recording (part of) the name of the freedman Anoptes

 

Although its overall plan has being brought to light almost entirely, various parts of the theatre are still under excavation and the Comune di Pignataro Interamna is committed to a timely conservation of the archaeological structures as well as to the general maintenance and development of the site as a whole.

Latest news

VIEWS project Visiting Fellowships

20 May 2024

We invite applications for two funded VIEWS project Visiting Fellowships, with a deadline of 30th June 2024. For further details please follow this link.

Dr Richard Duncan-Jones FBA 1937-2024

19 May 2024

The Faculty is saddened by news of the death of Dr Richard Duncan-Jones FBA FSA. He had been a Fellow of Gonville and Caius College since 1963 where he was a college lecture in Classics and Director of Studies for many years.

New appointment in Latin literature

15 May 2024

The Faculty is delighted to announce the appointment of Dr Elena Giusti as a new Assistant Professor of Latin literature. She will join the Faculty in the new academic year. Elena will be joining from the University of Warwick, where she is currently Associate Professor of Latin . She works broadly on Roman literature and...

AHRC CDP studentship - Acquiring the Mediterranean: exploring local agencies in the acquisition of antiquities from Greece and the Ottoman Empire by Charles Newton at the British Museum, 1861–1886.

9 May 2024

AHRC Collaborative Doctoral Partnership (CDP) studentship Acquiring the Mediterranean: exploring local agencies in the acquisition of antiquities from Greece and the Ottoman Empire by Charles Newton at the British Museum, 1861–1886. The Faculty of Classics and the British Museum are excited to announce a fully funded...