skip to primary navigationskip to content

Life and Times

The man behind the travels

In a green A5 lined notebook, entitled 'Tour in Asian Minor 1939', George describes his journey with a Mr Raggio, 'a very pleasant fellow' and a couple of local guides. Beginning in Ak Kaya on 3rd May and arriving at Smyrna on 17th May, this is the only surviving diary of George's travels, and was written when he was 36 years old.


black adn white photograph of a group of men and women of different ages and ethnicities
George (centre back), Jane Bean (front far right) unknown location,1950-60 (D5.2)

George would often travel on foot, but on this occasion he was traveling by car, which was not always the best method of transport. George describes how the vehicle got 'badly bogged' in mud and they were forced to camp there over night, assured that 'bullocks are promised for the morning'. Fortunately, George noted, 'the bullocks arrived as promised and hauled the car out: four were needed, two proving unsuccessful', and they continued on towards Aislan Kaya.


black and white photo of a group of men in front of 
a windmill
People at a windmill, Fenaket 1946-56 (B19.6)

This was not his first trip to the Aegean. As teacher of Greek for 17 years, he had been running school trips there from St. Paul's in London throughout the 1930s. George was a 'Pauline' (a pupil of St. Paul's), sent there by his father, William Jackson Bean (curator at Kew), between 1916 and 1921. Between then and 1923, George took Classics at Pembroke College, Cambridge, and was awarded two scholarships during this time.

It was from St. Paul's that George left England in 1944 to begin a new life in Turkey with the British Council. The motives for sending George over to a currently neutral Turkey during the Second World War to teach English are far from straightforward. Regardless of his initial role in Turkey, George found himself the head of the newly opened department of Classics at Istanbul University, where he remained as lecturer in Greek for 25 years. He used much of his time to travel throughout Turkey.


colour photo of four men in front of trees and a stone wall
George (left), Terence Mitford (second right) and Turkish hosts, 1964 (G4.1)

Recording the ancient landscape and inscriptions that he encountered along the way, George also had two significant traveling partners: the classicist Terence Mitford particularly in the 1960s, with whom he produced academic publications, and, from 1959 onwards, his wife Jane Bean. Jane had been teaching at the English High School for Girls on Istiklal Caddesi since 1952 and quickly became an archaeological enthusiast.


black and white photo of a gropu of men and women on stone steps in an ancient site
George (second right on front row), Jane (directly behind), unknown location, 1950-60 (D5.1)


During the 1960s, George was working on a series of guide books to ancient Turkey, which are still popular today. He continued to spend much of his time traveling and, even when he had retired in 1971 and returned to England, George traveled back for fieldwork in 1972. He continued to return to Turkey, the country where he had lived for 27 years, and was out in Turkey in 1977 when he was taken ill, dying at his home in Lavenham that year.


Archaeology was not George's only legacy. As man of tall stature (6ft 6inches), George was a skilled badminton and tennis player. He was captain of the Surrey Badminton Team for 10 years, and playing doubles at Wimbledon for over 6 years. George was certainly a man of many talents.


Further reading


black and white photo of George Bean in profile
George, 1965 (G1.1)

Museum of Classical Archaeology logo

Every cast tells two stories.
One ancient. One modern.

Admission is free.


book free ticket


Opening hours

Tues-Fri: 11am-2pm
Sat*: 1-4pm (from 17 October)
Sun and Monday: Closed

Closed on Bank Holidays


Saturday Opening

We are currently open on Saturdays until Saturday 28th November.

*We are only open on Saturdays during University of Cambridge term time.


Visit us

Museum of Classical Archaeology
Faculty of Classics
Sidgwick Avenue

We do not have an entrance on the road. Find us inside the Sidgwick Site.


Join our mailing list

mailing list subscribe



Get in touch

Tel. +44 (0)1223 330402

Find us on social media:

facebook     twitter



We're Good to Go logo     TripAdvisor 



Copyright statement

All images and material on our websites are ©Museum of Classical Archaeology, University of Cambridge unless otherwise stated. Permission is required to reproduce our images.

See also our Copyright Notice and Take Down Policy.



University of Cambridge Museums

Arts Council England