skip to primary navigationskip to content
 

A Cabinet of Coins

A Cabinet of Coins

Curated by George Watson

 

a display cabinet with an open wooden box of drawers with coinsA beautiful cabinet of what appeared to be coins from across the ancient world was hidden away in our storeroom, waiting to be rediscovered. Once the dust had settled, closer inspection revealed that these coins were in fact electrotype copies – petite casts to add to our collection.

Donated to the Museum of Classical Archaeology in 1927 by a fellow of Christ’s, A.H Lloyd, this collection was made using originals housed in the British Museum.

 

Museum of Classical Archaeology logo

Every cast tells two stories.
One ancient. One modern.

Admission is free.

 

book free ticket

  

Opening hours

Tues-Fri: 11am-2pm
Sat*: 1-4pm (from 17 October)
Sun and Monday: Closed

Closed on Bank Holidays

 

Saturday Opening

We are currently open on Saturdays until Saturday 28th November.

*We are only open on Saturdays during University of Cambridge term time.

 

Visit us

Museum of Classical Archaeology
Faculty of Classics
Sidgwick Avenue
Cambridge
CB3 9DA

We do not have an entrance on the road. Find us inside the Sidgwick Site.

 

Join our mailing list

mailing list subscribe

 

 

Get in touch

Tel. +44 (0)1223 330402
Email

Find us on social media:

facebook     twitter

 

 

We're Good to Go logo     TripAdvisor 

 

 

Copyright statement

All images and material on our websites are ©Museum of Classical Archaeology, University of Cambridge unless otherwise stated. Permission is required to reproduce our images.

See also our Copyright Notice and Take Down Policy.

 

 

University of Cambridge Museums

Arts Council England